To honour those who served their country

“In this their finest hour”

East Surrey-tn



Pierre Eugene Robinson


1918/07/24 - Born Staines, Middlesex

Son of Robert and Dorothy

1937/04/28 - Enlisted

East Surrey Regiment

2nd Battalion

11th Indian Division

British Battalion



When war broke out in 1939, the East Surrey Regiment were transported to Shanghai for defence duties.

In August 1940 the 2nd East Surrey Regiment were then transported to Singapore for training in jungle warfare as Japan were becoming a threat. After six months of training the 2nd battalion was moved to Sunei Patini, Malay.

When Japan entered the war attacking Malaya, the 2nd Battalion was position at Jitra, Malaya.


By the 11th of December the battalion was confronted by the Japanese commanded by Saeki who decided to attack the troops at Jitra during the night of the 11th and in doing so suffered heavy losses by the allied positioning of their machine guns. Saeki then decided to throw everything he had at the centre of the British defences and succeeded in driving a deep wedge into their positions before he came up against the Leicesters and the 2/2nd Gurkhas who stopped the Japanese attack, the 2nd East Surreys then counterattacked to help the Leicesters. By the 12th December Major-general Kawamura commanding the 9th Infantry arrived at Jitra and sent his 41st Regiment down the eastern side of the main road and the 40th Regiment down the western side to assist Saeki who was still being held by the Leicesters. Murray-Lyons ordered the Leicesters to withdraw behind a stream called the Sungei Jitra, the Leicesters had fought bravely and their good positions were argued but they had to obey the order.

At a meeting just south of Gurun on the 14th December, Murray-Lyon told General Heath that his troops were not in condition to withstand another retreat but if they had to a strong defensive position should be chosen  and a concentrated defines should be planned, with transportation for his troops. General Heath agreed that the 11th Division should hold Gurun and the 12th Brigade would hold the Japanese to the east at Kroh and Grik. After a conversation on the phone that night with Percival, Heath got his way and it was agreed that the 11th would retreat a further sixty mile to a defensive position beyond the Perak River delaying the Japanese as long as possible so Penang could be evacuated.

That night the Japanese attacked in numbers and drove a gap in the Punjabi defences and reached the 2nd East Surrey headquarters and then the 6th Brigade headquarters, killing everyone there, when Murray-Lyon saw the damage he immediately ordered a seven mile withdrawal, but finding the numbers of troops left, sent more orders to withdraw behind the Muda River. The remaining troops had some luck as the Japanese had been hit hard as well and they did not follow up on the action giving the remains of the 11th Division time to fall back, giving the British time to evacuate Penang.

The British started evacuating on the 13th but the orders included only British born personnel and civilians, this caused a feeling of despair among the Asiatic population, and anger towards the British for leaving them to fend for themselves at a time when they wanted leadership.


On the 17th December the Kobayashi Battalion of the Japanese 5th Division landed on Penang from small boats and the island was theirs.

Fearing his troops would be cut off by the Japanese troops from Kroh, Percival tried to use the natural obstacle of the Perak River as a defines against the Japanese tanks.


The 2nd Battalion, East Surrey Regiment and 1st Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment were amalgamated to form the ‘British Battalion’ . The two battalions suffered had heavy losses and were amalgamated on 20th December 1941 as the ‘British Battalion’ under the command of Lieut. Col. C.E. Morrison, D.S.O., M.C., of The Royal Leicestershire Regiment.

Yamashita read the situation well and on the 26th December the 4th Guards Regiment crossed the Perak River to the north of Kuala Kangsar through thick jungle and then headed south for Ipoh, trying to outflank the British, they would then proceed to Kuala Lumpur. The British front had now been joined by the 12th Indian Brigade and the badly cut up 6th Brigade had merged into the 15th Brigade, they had now retreated by the 31st December to a strong defensible sight at Kampar where the artillery for once had a clear sighting of the ground between them and the advancing Japanese.

On the 2nd January the Japanese Guards Division tried landing troops at Kuala Selengor and Port Swettenham but were held off till the 4th when they achieved a landing just north of Kuala Selengor and moved inland at Battalion strength. Percival asked the Perak Flotilla to stop any more landings but it had been bombed continuously and was down to only two motor launches. While the landings were taking place 11th Division had retreated to the Slim River with very thick jungle on either side it was thought the Japanese could not outflank the defenders and the road defences would stop the tanks.

The long retreat down Malaya was now on, pursued and outflanked by the Japanese who were more suitably equipped and prepared for jungle warfare.

The ‘British Battalion’ fought as one till Malaya and Singapore fell to the Japanese on the 15th February 1942.


1942/03/18 - WO 417/40, Casualty List No. 774. Reported ‘Missing’.

1944/01/22 - WO417/70, Casualty List No 1349. Previously posted on Casualty List No 774 as Missing. Now reported Prisoner of War in Japanese Hands.


Japanese PoW

1942/02/15 - Captured Singapore

PoW No. M-7101

Japanese Index Card - Side One


Japanese Index Card - Side Two


1943/03/23 - Transported overland to Thailand with ‘D’ Force, train 9

58th train to Thailand

Commander Lt-Col. G.G. Carpenter, 1st Cambridgeshire Regiment.

With Lt-Col. McEachern, AIF

New PoW No. 24663

Thailand Camps:-

1943/03/ - Kanchanaburi, 50km from Nong Pladuk

1943/07/ - Kannyu, 151km from Nong Pladuk

1943/11/ - Nong Pladuk,

1945 - Ubon Camp, Thailand


Work involved building a runway.

New PoW No. 13743

1945/08/30 - Liberated Ubon, Thailand

Flown from Bangkok to Rangoon then shipped home

Liberation Questionnaire


1945/10/15 - WO417/98, Casualty List No. 1884. Previously reported on Casualty List No. 1349 as Prisoner of War. Now Not Prisoner of War. Previous Theatre of War, Malaya.




1939-1945 Star-tn

Pacific Star

War Medal

1939-1945 Star



Sarah Curtis-Robinson - Daughter

British Battalion - Roll of Honour

Japanese Transport

Thailand - Burma Railway

Ubon Camp - Roll of Honour

Liberation Questionnaire - COFEPOW

KEW Files:- WO 361/2172, WO 361/1955, WO 361/2196, WO 345/44, WO 361/2165, WO 361/2165, WO 361/2070, WO 392/26, WO 367/3,


''Our Thanks are for being a Chapter in Life.''




Keeping The Candle Burning


Fepow Family

In Memory FEPOW Family Loved Ones
Designed and Maintained by Ron Taylor.


[FEPOW Family] [Roll of Honour] [R]


Honorary Life Member-1tn

Honorary Life Member of COFEPOW


Email Ron Taylor 


Copyright © FEPOW Family