To honour those who served their country

“In this their finest hour”

Royal Artillery-tn



Albert Ernest Green


1920/11/03 - Born Bilston, Staffordshire

Royal Artillery


Japanese PoW

1942/03/08 - Captured Java

PoW No. 1861

Japanese Index Card -Side One


Japanese Index Card - Side Two


 1942/10/21 - When the draft for transportation was assembled, there were many stretcher cases and many of the PoWs collapsed on the march to the docks. At the Tandjong Priok Docks the Tanjong Priok P.O.W. Camp draft of 1000 ( 90 Officers and 910 O.R.s approx ) was joined by a draft of 300 R.A.F., under command of Wing Commander Frowe, and 500 R.A. personnel under command of Lt. Col. Saunders R.A.

At 1600 hours the daft of 1800 PoWs embarked onto the Yoshiba Maru and were crammed into the holds.

1942/10/22 - The Yoshida Maru sailed  from Batavia with the 1800 PoWs to Singapore in very bad conditions as the tarpaulins leaked and the water entered the holds.

1942/10/25 - Yoshida Maru arrived at the Roads of Singapore.

1942/10/26 - Reached Keppel Harbour, Singapore. 32 sick PoWs were taken to  Changi-Hospital. The remaining PoWs were herded onto the quay, disinfected and tested for dysentery and cholera (rod test). Then herded back aboard the Yoshida Maru

1942/10/28 - Wing Commander Frowe was instructed to draft 200 of his men to join Lt. Col. Saunders' party of 500 and transfer to another ship. Fourteen of the more seriously sick from Tanjong Priok Camp were then transferred to Singapore Hospital.

1942/10/29, 1400 hours - The remaining 1086 disembarked and were disinfested. During the day a further 19 went sick and were sent to shore hospital and 14 replacements were received from Changi P.O.W. Camp, making a total of 1081.

1942/10/29, 1900 hours - The 1081 embarked on the S.S. "Singapore Maru"

1942/10/27 - The Singapore Maru (1100 PoWs) and the Dainichi Maru (1200 PoWs) set sail to Japan. Some of Java Party 5a, 5b and 5c who had sailed earlier from Java and taken to Changi, joined the PoWs in this Japan daft.

1942/11/25 - Arrived Moji, Japan

Many of the PoWs were then hospitalised at Moji

The remainder were split into groups. One group were marched to a large barge and towed across the inland sea to Ube. They arrived at the men groaning in pain from the freezing cold conditions. The camp at Ube was luxury after the transportation from Singapore

1942/11/26 - Yahata Provisional POW CAMP, Ube - Motoyama

Work was in Coal Mine

1943/01/01 - Renamed Fukuoka PoW Camp Ube -  Motoyama

1943/03/01 - Renamed Fukuoka 8-B

1943/12/01 Renamed Fukuoka 3-D

1945/04/14 - Control changed to Hiroshima 6D - Motoyama

New PoW No. 3397

1945/08/10 - Renamed Hiroshima 8B - (on camp roll at Liberation)

1945/09/02 - Liberated



Carol Rowe

Tim Lloyds

Walter Tuttlebee

Japanese Homeland Camps

Hell-Ship by A.G. James

Roger Mansell

KEW:-  WO 361/2009, WO 392/24, WO 361/1982, WO 361/1960, WO 361/1977, WO 392/11, WO 361/1963, WO 345/21


''Our Thanks are for being a Chapter in Life.''




Keeping The Candle Burning


Fepow Family

In Memory of FEPOW Family Loved Ones
Designed and Maintained by Ron Taylor.


[FEPOW Family] [Roll of Honour] [G]


Honorary Life Member-1tn

Honorary member of COFEPOW


Email Ron Taylor 


Copyright © FEPOW Family