To honour those who served their country

“In this their finest hour”




William Charles Martin


1907/10/14 - Born Wolsoken, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Son of Charles and Mary (nee  Craythorne) Martin

1929 - Married Rose E Robinson at Wisbech

Suffolk Regiment

4th Battalion



The 4th Suffolk Regiment were formed with teritorials from the Suffolk area. After some basic training they were put on guard duty in Lowestoft, patrolling the dry docks where Allied  submarines were serviced. A few days were then spent at Loddon before returning to the Waverly hotel,  in St Olaves, returning to guard duty at Haddiscoe railway station. Further training took place at Langley Park, Loddon, where marching, and camp life were the order of the day. A farm at Cawston in Norfolk was the next venue, with the luxury of sleeping in a farmers barn but the training was increased. The next stage was from late July to the end of September doing guard duty near the harbour mouth at Great Yarmouth. The guard duty consisted of 24 hour stints, two hours on, four hours off, one day a week was a rest day.

A move to Hatley St George, Bedfordshire occurred in September 1940 living in disused cottages on the Hatley Hall Estate. Training was increased with long route marches. Just before the new year the battalion was moved to Stobbs Camp, Harwick in Scotland, and housed in Nissan huts, the weather was bitter. The training lasted till April.

The battalion was then bussed to Pilsmouth Bleach Mills, Bury in Lancashire where training continued. In August the battalion was moved again to wooden huts near Hereford , where training and farm work was carried out.

King George VI inspected the battalion in Hereford at the cathedral whilst the Suffolk Regimental band from Bury St Edmunds played.

Once more the battalion were on the move - it was dark when they left Hereford. A move abroad was known but destination was unknown. The battalion was then entrained to Liverpool, where the boarded the S.S. Andes, it was believed their destination was the Middle East.


The S.S. Andes passage was to Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, across a very rough sea.

USS Wakefield-2

The battalion then changed ship to the American liner ‘Wakefield’ and became part of the Convoy William Sail 12X. The convoy sailed to Trinidad and then on to Cape Town in South Africa, berthing on the 9th December for a three stay, shore leave was granted. The Japanese had invaded Malaya the day before the convoy reached Cape Town.

Up till now the destination of the convoy was the Middle East but with Japan entering the war, it became obvious that the 18th division would be sent to the Far East. At this point the convoy was split with one part going to Mombassa and then on to Malaya and the Wakefield going to India, arriving at Bombay on the 5th January 1942, then on by train to Ahmenager, which was inland from Bombay where more training took place for the Far eastern climate. The 54th Infantry, which included the 4th Suffolks stayed at Ahmenager for three weeks, then back to Bombay where the Wakefield had waited, sailing once again this time to Singapore arriving just as the causeway was blown between Malaya and Singapore.

Singapore by this time was under siege and the battalion found themselves in old tents in a rubber plantation. Orders to defend the Golf Course which was bombed directly it went dark.

Orders to retreat to the outskirts of Singapore were given just as they arrived at their destination on the 15th February 1942, Percival surrendered, just 18 days after the Wakefield had docked at Singapore.

The day after orders were given to march to Changi which was about 15 miles on the South West side of the island. The battalion was at first in Roberts barracks, but this was then used as a hospital so the battalion had to find what shelter they could.

1942/02/15 - Singapore surrendered


1942/04/30 - WO 417/42, Casualty List No. 811. Missing

1942/08/25 - WO 417/65, Casualty List No. 1221. Previously posted Missing now reported Prisoner of War.


Japanese PoW

Wounded with Unit - Light Duties

PoW No. IV 5336

Japanese PoW Card - Side One


Japanese PoW Card - Side Two


1943/05/09 - Transported overland to Thailand with ‘H’ Force

4th train of "H" Force

79th Train from Singapore to Thailand

Commander Lt-Col. R.R. Humphries, 77 H.A.A. Regiment, RA

New PoW No. V 7491

3A Camp, Malay Hamlet



Age 35


Cause of death Cholera

Buried Grave 27, at Malay Hamlet Camp

(Camp was across the road from Kannyu 3 or Hellfire Pass camp)


1945/12/10 - WO417/100, Casualty List No. 1932. Previously shown on Casualty List No. 1221 as reported Prisoner of War. Previous Theatre of War, Malaya. Died.


Loved Ones

Son of Charles and Mary Martin

Husband of Rose Martin of Wisbech

Brother to Lucy, John and Volett




Coll. grave 1. P. 60-65.

Martin-William-Charles - Kanchanaburi War Cemetery Site Plan

Kanchanaburi War Cemetery



Michele Porter - Granddaughter

Andrew Snow - Thailand Burma Railway Center

Japanese Transports

Thailand-Burma Railway

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

KEW Files:- WO 361/1504, WO 392/25, WO 361/2062, WO 361/2070, WO 361/1623, WO 361/1504, WO 361/2234, WO 361/2178, WO 367/3, WO 361/1947,


''Our Thanks are for being a Chapter in Life.''




Keeping The Candle Burning


Fepow Family

In Memory of FEPOW Family Loved Ones
Designed and Maintained by Ron Taylor.


[FEPOW Family] [Roll of Honour] [M]


Honorary Life Member-1tn

Honorary Life Member of COFEPOW


Email Ron Taylor 


Copyright © FEPOW Family