At the time of the Japanese invasion of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur was the headquarters of the 3rd Indian Corps. Early in 1941 part of the recently raised 8th Division of the Australian Infantry Force was assigned to Malaya, a territory of strategic importance to Australia.
The headquarters divisional staff arrived on February 18th in advance of the main force, which numbered some 6,000 men, and the divisional headquarters and attached units were posted at Kuala Lumpur.
The Cemetery is situated south of Kuala Lumpur, to the left of Cheras Highway toll gates. It can be reached by turning left immediately after the toll gates. The Roman Catholic Cemetery is on high ground to the right, and will be found by crossing the car park and following the central, narrow tarmac road to the end. The Commonwealth war graves are to the left just before the Chapel.
The location or design of this site makes wheelchair access impossible.
There are in this Roman Catholic cemetery the graves of eleven soldiers who belonged to the United Kingdom Forces.